French toast with berry compote and honey cream cheese

french toast with berry compote

The hubby took off early this morning, so I decided to make brunch for myself.  I had just bought some fresh organic berries yesterday that I was craving, but when I looked in the fridge I saw that I had some not so fresh berries that needed to be used up or sent to the compost. I hate wasting anything, so I decided to make a compote with the slightly shriveled (but still good) raspberries and blueberries. I washed them up, added about a tablespoon of sugar and the juice of one lime and cooked it down until it got thick and yummy.






While that was simmering, I warmed up some cream cheese in the microwave (about 10-15 sec) and mixed with some honey and set aside. Then I made 2 slices of french toast using fresh organic eggs. I slathered a bit of the cream cheese spread between the two slices, topped with the compote and a little more spread and threw a few freshly washed berries on top! It was perfect--not too sweet, not too tart.

Comments

Popular Posts