Breakfast Smoothie


I love fruit smoothies for breakfast. I usually use about 1 cup of chopped fruit, such as bananas, berries, pineapple and kiwi (very high in Vitamin C). I put in about 1/2 cup total of the following: yogurt or kefir for their probiotics and some superfood juices for their high antioxidant value and to help everything blend well. Shown is POM Wonderful pomegranate juice, Lifeway organic strawberry kefir and Sambazon acai juice, but there are many other  good ones out there. I toss in about 12 walnuts for added protein and a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids. 
Fruit is high in fructose (sugar) but the fiber in whole fruit helps to slow the rate of absorption and therefore the spike to blood glucose levels. And the phytonutrients, antioxidents, carotenoids, etc. are really worth having a daily serving (or 3-5!) in your diet. It is thought that the holistic effect from nutrients in fruit isn't the same as taking a supplement--it exceeds it. So eat a rainbow everyday!

And yes . . that is a Magic Bullet; I've had it for years. Not a great blender, but it makes it very convenient, especially when I take these on the road in the mornings!


Special Tidbit

I always save the (non-meat) scraps for the compost - lots of good nutrients there to replenish the soil

Comments

Popular Posts